Monday, October 11, 2010

Selamat Datang to Denpasar, Bali.

I am back from my weekend in Bali. What a trip.


Eric, Fanny, J.P and myself left Jakarta International airport at 8 p.m (originally the flight was at 6 p.m). We arrived an hour and a half later in Bali and took a taxi to our hotel which was located in Kuta Bay (Kuta, Seminyak, Legian), also known as the most touristic area of Bali (which I, of course didn't know). My first impressions of the island weren't that positive... Hundreds of Aussies and Japanese (no offense ;) ) drinking beers on the beach isn't what I expected Bali to be like.


On Saturday we decided to meet up with Fanny's friends at the very south tip of the island in Pura Ulu Watu: an internationally known surfing spot. It was very interesting to talk to all the different surfers and get their ideas and thoughts on "how to share a wave properly" and who from the French or the Americans have the best conduct in the ocean. From what I've heard the French are not the most humble people in the water... Thumbs up for keeping up the reputation guys! ;)



On Saturday night we went out in Kuta on the famous Legian street. Bars, clubs, bars, clubs, bars, clubs and thousands of Aussies and Japanese people everywhere (again, no offense). As I was walking down the street it suddenly occurred to me that I was most likely walking down the same street where the 2002 bomb attack happened. I look up and I see an enormous monument with hundreds of names listed, 202 to be more precise. "Interestingly" enough it happened on that very same weekend 8 years ago.


On our way back we left the airport at 10 p.m (originally the flight was at 8 p.m). As a conclusion, it was a very interesting weekend, however next time I go, I will make sure to go the softer, more yoga like part of the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment