Sunday, January 23, 2011

The real housewives of JAKARTA.

                 Following the recurrent bag snatches in the neighborhood (of which I was a victim in mid-December), I had the honor to be invited to my very first Arisan by an Indonesian school parent, Lina who happens to live a couple of doors down the street.  


Arisan is a common term for a monthly social gathering between friends and relatives who chip in money to be won in turns through a lucky draw. From villagers in far-flung areas to urban professionals in big cities, arisan -- initially born as a type of support network for ethnic Chinese merchants -- is hugely popular among Indonesia's 210 million people, especially housewives.


Popular Indonesian sweet made with coconut.


              I arrived at the woman's house hosting the Arisan at 11 a.m. The beautiful living room was already filled with a very "religiously" contrasted but all so gracious bunch of Indonesian women sitting around the living room coffee table. A couple of children accompanied by their nannies were there too and greeted me with a polite Sa'laam (bowing head).


sa·laam  (s-läm)
n.
1. A ceremonious act of deference or obeisance, especially a low bow performed while placing the right palm on the forehead.
2. A respectful ceremonial greeting performed especially in Islamic countries.
tr. & intr.v. sa·laamedsa·laam·ingsa·laams
To greet with or perform a salaam.




         Lina offered me different starters and explained to me that each appetizer reflected one woman's home region and culture. That day I tried: Pastel Goreng, Dodol, Ongol-Ongol, a popular indonesian sweet, Lemper, Resoles... and way more for lunch. :) 


Dodol, a delicacy from Manadau.
      
        
           The robbery matters were dealt among the RT: neighborhood leader (without whom you cannot declare a relative's death or birth) and the neighborhood's security officer exceptionally invited, while the women started their money chipping. 


At last but not least the book keeper/event coordinator of the event asked me if I wanted to be part of the  Arisan from now on, which I proudly accepted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment