Friday, January 28, 2011

From Balinese traditional dances to line dancing.

             As a new Blackberry owner and without a single clue of what "BBMing*" meant at the time, I had no other choice but to seek the advice and help of a Smartphone expert; a title that applies to the majority of locals in Jakarta, including my neighbor Indree. 

With over 10 million 3G users and a Blackberry market growth reaching 500% in 2009, Indonesia is predicated to be the third largest mobile market in Asia after China and India. (Blackberry in Indonesia, Jason Liew).

       As I was getting closer to Indree's house I could hear blasting music coming from that direction...The closer I got, the more familiar it appeared. Echoes of the song "Achy Breaky heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus were suddenly giving rhythm to my steps and I could not wait to cross the front door. 


Line dancing in a mall.




        And there it was: a dozen Indonesian men and women line dancing to the sound of classic American cowboy music. Chasse, grapevine, triple step, shuffle step... you name it! I happily joined the ongoing dance class and quickly forgot all about my Blackberry issues. We spent the following hour switching from country to Salsa, to Rumba, onto Merengue and took a few breaks to snack on some Nagasari cake, a traditional chinese new year cake in Indonesia. How 'bout that for a Sunday afternoon.


Love C-
*Bbming is - a short term used to describe the use of blackberry messenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment