Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jakarta Road Race Series 2011

The Jakarta road series event is a yearly Jakarta tradition that offers individual as well as family 5K and 2.5K races, aimed at raising money for local charities. The 5K races are held at 4 different locations: the British International School (BIS), the Jakarta International School (JIS), The International Sports Club of Indonesia (ISCI) and the Jakarta Ragunan Zoo.



        After placing third in my age category at the first 5k race at ISCI on January 30th, I had in fact no other choice but to register, along with fellow Jakarta Free Spirit team members to the March 27th race at the British International School and try to beat my time. 

BIS Jakarta

      At 6 a.m and only 20 minutes of driving west later, my friend Guillaume and I arrived in "Pondok Aren", a sub-district in the city of Tangerang, and were charmed by the green open spaces and the smell of grass (because smelling grass in Jakarta never happens, never). As I was walking toward the sign-in booth, I was immediately struck by a state-of-the-art campus. And looking at the brand new buildings and the amazing sports facilities (2 tennis courts, 1 soccer field, and an Olympic-size swimming pool) wondered if I might not be working for the wrong school after all. 




        The race started at 6.45 a.m. in 80F (31.1C) 66% humidity weather. As usual the run was a lot of fun: we ran through neighboring Kampungs filled with satay barbecue air and happily high-fived local children along the side of the road while running. I crossed the finishing line in 23min57sec and beat my time by 27 seconds. 



My friend Guillaume and I both scored first place in both the female and male 20-29 age category.... and even got to stand on the podium!



Love C-












2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! You won the first place! Wow, I wish I'm good at running! Lovely photos of yours! It was really nice meeting you, too!!

    ReplyDelete