Sunday, March 13, 2011

TIME 4 MOM

"When we weren't scratching each other's eyes out, we were making each other laugh harder than anyone else could."

Lucie Arnaz, daughter of Lucille Ball


Feb 19th 2011, JAKARTA SOEKARNO-HATTA International Airport - Here I was, the only white woman standing among hundreds of Indonesian drivers, mothers and children, waiting for the most important person in my life: my mom. 




        One of the many perks of being a teacher in the French Education System is the glorious, divine, extraordinary 16 week paid vacation... that's right you read it: 16. Now, one of the many perks of being a teacher in the French Education System in Indonesia is the cheap airfare to places like Bali, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. And I won't lie: having awesome vacation to look forward to is part of how I'm able see Jakarta has a livable city. 



          For my mom's first time in Indonesia I had planned the following itinerary: a couple introductory days in Jakarta followed by 3 almost excessively relaxing days in Amed, Bali, a 4 day shopping spree in Ubud completed by 4 exceptional days on Gili Air, an island part of the big Island of Lombok. The actual unwinding of the plan exceeded my expectations: we had more fun than I could have ever hoped for.




           I consider myself very lucky and privileged to have spent such quality time with my mom. Although her leaving Jakarta resulted in an intense though brief desolation , I now feel recharged and reenergized... 

6 more weeks until Spring break ;).

 Love C-.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know that your mom came to visit. Lucky you! My mom's health is not so great, so she can't come visit, but I would love for her to see how we live in Jakarta! I would also love for my dad and sisters to come visit here. We'll see that'll happen or not... I can't believe you get 16 weeks of paid vacation. That makes me want to work for the French school!! :)

    ReplyDelete